I have three words for you and you’ve probably already heard them. Because honestly, it’s all over the place. Ready? Apple cider vinegar. I know, I know. But seriously, the stuff is amazing and you can spend hours reading about everything it does.
I remember standing in my kitchen nearly a decade ago. My best friend and I had just finished a hike and decided the next logical thing to do in our quest for overall health was to take a shot of apple cider vinegar. What a mistake.
I feel like there’s this gradual build up that has to happen with apple cider vin. It’s a full process. For me, the easiest way to start is by mixing 1/2 tablespoon of it in a full glass of hot water. If I’m able to continue that on a daily basis, I gradually keep increasing the amount of vinegar. You have to ease yourself into it.
Something kind of amazing happened though. Bragg came out with a version that’s pre-blended WITH HONEY. You have absolutely no idea how much more tolerable this makes it. It’s everything you could want in a bottle… minus the tequila.
Here are some ways that I try to sneak apple cider vinegar into my everyday diet:
- One word: marinate! Equal parts oil + vinegar are classic parings for a great marinade. Add in some extra goodies like fresh chopped garlic and shallots, a little sea salt + black pepper, and you’re good to go! Throw it all in a bag and forget about it for a few hours.
- Make a salad for lunch and throw together a simple oil-vinegar dressing. Mix a little olive oil, a generous splash of apple cider vin, a little sea salt + black pepper, and maybe some fresh squeezed lemon or chopped garlic. From there, you can be as simple or as creative as you’d like with the rest of your ingredients. The best part is that you can just keep building on it and taste as you go. The possibilities are endless!
- Make your morning smoothie as normal, but add 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vin. Chances are you won’t even taste the kick of vinegar in there!
- If you gravitate towards cold, carbonated drinks (read: sodas), then try mixing sparkling water with lime juice and a tablespoon of apple cider vin over ice. You’ll end up with a cold, refreshing boost of energy.
- Add a bottle to your bar cart and start testing out new cocktail recipes. You’ll be surprised at how versatile it can be… and at how you’ll hardly notice it’s there when you’re sipping on your gin + tonic!
- Keep it classic: Drink a glass of hot water in the morning with a tablespoon (or less) of apple cider vin.
live better. a